Magnetic balls: life-threatening tiktok trend

Magnetic balls: life-threatening tiktok trend

The UK’s national health service, National Health Service (NHS), is calling for a ban on the sale of magnets as a "Toys" LIMITS. The background is a current TikTok trend, in which teenagers use two magnetic balls on the top and bottom of the tongue to form a "Fake piercing" place. However, accidental swallowing of the balls poses a risk to life. The NHS has now ied a patient alert on the matter.

Interruption of blood supply

In the last three years, at least 65 children have undergone emergency surgery as a result of swallowing magnets, according to the NHS. The magnetic objects were found to cause an interruption in blood supply in the intestines, the NHS explains – within hours, swallowed magnets could cause significant damage. Teenagers using magnetic balls as fake tongue piercings recently added to young children among those affected.

On TikTok, the teens in the videos play with the magnetic spheres above and below their tongues, moving them back and forth like a real piercing where, unlike magnets, the two spheres are permanently attached to a rod – they’re not magnets either.

Swallowed magnets are an emergency

Professor Simon Kenny, NHS clinical director for children and young people, said magnets were a source of fascination for children, but magnetic toys were not safe and should not be sold as toys. The only way to prevent such incidents in the future is to ban these items, he said.

The National Patient Alert indicates that every hospital and family practice should treat cases of magnet ingestion as an emergency. Accordingly, rontgenograms and referrals to surgery are urgently needed. It is important not to wait for painful symptoms or other signs of illness, but to seek immediate medical attention.

23 magnets swallowed

Most recently, the case of an eleven-year-old boy caused a stir. He had swallowed a total of five spheres, which were removed in an emergency operation lasting several hours. Several centimeters of his intestines were also removed in the process. An 18-month-old child had 23 magnets removed, and his twin brother had four, according to the NHS.

The British Toy Hobby Association believes that the law should change and stricter toy safety regulations should lead to a change in the design of such toys. Magnets could be provided with rough housings, so that they cannot be swallowed any more.

TikTok flags videos

The platform TikTok recently started flagging videos with dangerous driving maneuvers with warnings. In the process, for example, car drivers show videos with driving assistance systems that are pushed to the max. Whether the trend towards "Fake piercings" It remains to be seen whether the Thunderbolt interface with magnets will also be provided with a warning in the future.

Like this post? Please share to your friends:
Leave a Reply

;-) :| :x :twisted: :smile: :shock: :sad: :roll: :razz: :oops: :o :mrgreen: :lol: :idea: :grin: :evil: :cry: :cool: :arrow: :???: :?: :!: